March 18, 2009

Guest Blogger Shares Her 2009 Lupus Foundation of America Advocacy Day Experience

"While it’s not always easy to take time out of our busy lives, the Lupus Advocacy Day in March of 2009 was well worth all of the sacrifice. It was wonderful to feel the support and comfort of those who share my passion toward finding a cure for lupus. As lupus patients we often suffer in silence and try to hide our disease. Stepping out of our comfort box and speaking up for our cause was very empowering. Doing so with my fellow lupus sufferers made me realize that I am not alone in my struggle.

"My day’s experience included the opportunity to speak with the staff members of my district’s house member and senators. The response from them was very positive and they gave me assurance that they will speak to the issue of support from my district’s representative and senate. At the end of the day for my scheduled appointments I got on the elevator to leave the building. One other person got on the elevator with me ... a representative from a neighboring district in my state. I asked him if we could walk so that I discuss with him his support for lupus research.

"What a great experience it is to put legs to your passion!"

Katherine Hammons


Photo: Katherine Hammons, Lupus Advocate from Michigan, Lupus Foundation of America

No comments: