March 12, 2008

Lupus Blog Spotlight: My Wife Has Lupus

Good morning everyone.

I realize it's now mid-week ... have you adjusted to the time change? I think I'm finally getting used to it. Wanted to catch you up to date on things. It's been a pretty busy week already at the LFA.

Yesterday was our Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill. Our advocates met with their senators and representatives to talk about how critical it is that Congress increases funding for lupus research at both NIH and CDC. Additionally, we want Congress to enact the Lupus REACH Amendments to address the unmet medical needs in research, awareness, diagnostic and treatment challenges associated with lupus. Overall, I'd say everything went very well. Once the dust settles, I'm sure I'll have an update within the next week.

About a month old, the recently launched message boards are doing well so far. As of this morning, we have more than 450 registered users for them. You can join the message boards here.

As a reminder, we have a Webchat this afternoon at 3 p.m. Eastern on Kidneys & Lupus. Dr. James Tumlin will be the guest host. We hope you can join us.

And finally, I'd like to do another lupus blog spotlight.

This one is called My Wife Has Lupus. Jeff writes for the blog, and as you may have gathered, his wife has lupus.

As Jeff has learned first-hand, lupus not only affects an individual on both a personal and economic level, but it also affects their families, and their loved ones on a daily basis. Because of this, Jeff decided to create a site that was dedicated to creating a community of support for lupus patients and their friends and families.

Jeff is also a frequent contributor to the "Caregivers of People Living with Lupus" section of the LFA message boards. In fact, he recommended that we add that category to the boards.

So if you get the chance, please stop by the My Wife Has Lupus blog and say hi to Jeff.

Until next time, Wick


No comments: