July 16, 2008

Lupus Blog Spotlight: The Lupus Runner

I would like to share a lupus blog with you. It is called The Lupus Runner. It's written by a runner named Brian Thomas.

Brian knows a lot of people with lupus. His mother-in-law has lupus. He and his wife have colleagues with lupus. He's even had students and known fellow runners with lupus. So Brian decided to help. In September 2007, he ran the North Country Trail 50-mile ultra-marathon in Manistee, Michigan. Accepting donations on behalf of the Lupus Foundation of America, Brian raised $5,000.

This year, he is running the Haliburton 100 mile run to raise money for -- about public awareness about -- lupus. Brian will also join forces with other people who have been affected by lupus, and who want to make a difference. If you are in Michigan, and would like to help Brian or join him in the marathon, contact him at fundraising@thomaswallace.org.

Here's a little bit about Brian ... in his own words.

"I'm an instructor at Saginaw Valley State University located in University Center, Michigan. I teach Global Cultures and Statistics. My research involves food, agriculture, and inequality. I have a Ph.D. in Sociology from Michigan State University and a M.S. in Environmental Studies from the University of Oregon. I'm married to my wonderful wife, Holli, and frequently run with our energetic one-year-old son Elliott, and our border collie Casey."

If you have a few moments, swing by The Lupus Runner and say hi to Brian.

That's the lupus scoop from my end.

Until next time, Wick

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really impressed to see this kind of initiative in a survivor of a disease...My hat is off to you. If you could give me the current funds raised, I would love to know if you don't exceed your goal of $10K.
Kind Regards
An admirer

Brian Thomas said...

Thank you for your support. Unfortunately, we still have a long way to go to reach our goal of $10k. You can find out how close we are at http://www.firstgiving.com/lupusrunners

Brian Thomas said...

Oh, I should also note that fortunately I have not been a lupus suffer, but rather run on behalf of those who are.